Frequently Asked Questions

What is Trade Effluent?2020-06-26T10:34:11+00:00

Trade Effluent is any liquid waste discharged into the sewers from a business or industrial process. It is anything other than domestic sewage or uncontaminated surface water and roof drainage.

What is a Supply Point Identification Number (SPID) and how do I find it?2020-06-26T10:33:40+00:00

Your SPID is always located on your water bill and is 13 digits long. There a two separate SPID for your water and sewage on your premises. These can sometimes be billed by separate suppliers depending on your area.

What is the difference between half-hourly (HH) and non-half- hourly (NHH) meters?2020-06-26T10:18:48+00:00

Half hourly meters are used by large UK power users to better monitor your usage. If a full MPAN starts with (00) this is a HH meter. These meters are electronically read by the supplier every 30 minutes for more accurate billing.

Non-half hourly meters are for smaller consuming UK power users which are supplied on monthly or quarterly tariffs.

What is Water de-regulation?2021-04-14T09:58:40+00:00

Water is de-regulating in England in 2017. This means Eneco Consulting can help your company find competitive pricing for your water supplies. More information will be provided when de-regulation has taken place but do contact us to see how we can help you.

What information do we need?

In addition to a water-specific letter of authority, we will need copy bills for each water meter for the last year. The bills must clearly display your SPID (Supply Point Identification Number) – this is your unique number to your water meter. This number will be on the National Database for water and all water suppliers will be able to gain this information.

Why is the water market de-regulating?

The Government wants businesses to be able to switch water provider. Consequently, water suppliers will need to be more cost effective and provide better service for their customers. This should push down water costs.


What is P272?2016-12-19T15:11:47+00:00

This is a Government mandated programme which aims to upgrade all maximum demand (profile 05-08) electricity meters to Half-Hourly (HH profile 00) by 31/03/2017.

Why is this happening?

The aim is to give the customer a better understanding of their electricity consumption as meter readings will be sent via a remote link to your energy supplier every 30 minutes. You will no longer have to submit meter readings and can access consumption data on request through supplier portals.

How does this happen?

Suppliers are trying to upgrade your meter within 30-45 days from the start date of your contract. Initially suppliers will try to dial into your meter remotely to upgrade the meter. If this fails, the supplier will organise a site visit to check the communication link and meter compatibility.

Why are Eneco different to other energy consultants?2017-11-24T13:07:05+00:00

Eneco have specialised in commercial energy brokerage since 1999. Using our combined industry experience  and extensive market contacts, our dedicated consultants ensure you get the best possible deal from your gas and electricity suppliers. We are totally independent and not tied to any provider. Our loyalty rests with you, the customer.

Why is there no direct contract with Eneco?2015-02-12T14:03:43+00:00

Eneco have an extremely high level of customer retention. Our team look after you throughout the term of your supply contract, and constantly monitor the market to help you avoid price surges on your renewal. Crucially, we do not lock you into a contract direct with us. We believe our Letter of Authority is a sufficient commitment. You will be aware that this simply allows suppliers to provide data and prices, and keeps all parties compliant with the Data Protection Act. In short, if you stay with us, it’s because you want to.

Are Eneco tied to any particular supplier(s)?2021-04-14T09:58:40+00:00

We are totally independent and not tied to any provider. Our loyalty rests with you, the customer. We do, however, have longstanding relationships with all the UK’s energy suppliers, many of whom are specialist to the commercial sector. This ensures our clients get the most competitive price available.

How do Eneco get paid?2015-02-12T14:06:31+00:00

We are paid direct by the supplier based on a pre-agreed commission. Alternative payment structures are available on request. We have no hidden charges.

Is changing business energy suppliers a problem?2013-03-26T18:55:19+00:00

No, not when you use Eneco to aid you in switching suppliers. We will handle the process from start to finish ensuring a smooth transition. We can even, with your consent, arrange to register termination with your current supplier on your behalf. When you switch supplier you will continue to use exactly the same cables and meter as you currently use and crucially there is no interruption in supply. The only change you will notice is the name of the supplier at the top of the bill.

What if a problem arises with my new supplier?2015-02-12T14:08:52+00:00

Contact Eneco and we will be able to assist you in resolving any problems should they arise. We are happy to help.

What type of energy contracts can Eneco negotiate for me?2021-04-14T09:58:40+00:00

We are constantly monitoring the gas and electricity markets to secure the best price available for you and to avoid market price surges. Contracts are bespoke to your requirements, multiple meters can be timed to a single end date. We can source contracts of varying durations on a fixed and flexible basis dependent on your companies approach to risk. Tailored baskets can also be designed for groups of clients with multiple meters and extensive usage. Regardless of the type of contract selected, our approach ensures the client retains control over the final decision.

Can Eneco help with streamlining multiple meters into a single contract with one supplier?2013-03-26T18:52:06+00:00

Yes. Eneco can manage this process for you, by timing contracts for multiple meters with one supplier to a single end date. Ultimately this will save you time and increase your buying power in future tenders.

What is the difference between fixed, flexible and basketed contracts?2021-04-14T09:58:40+00:00